If you’re planning to whisk your partner away for a romantic weekend break, whether it’s a special occasion or an unexpected treat, you might consider booking a table somewhere exceptional for a memorable evening of fine food and wine. We’ve gathered information from TripAdvisor to bring you this easy-to-digest list of the best fine dining restaurants in the UK, as chosen by travelers themselves.
• Location – Birmingham
• Price Range – £90 for the tasting menu or £65 for three courses
• Dress code – there is no strict dress code, but smart-casual is preferred by most guests
• Known for – contemporary British fine dining and surprise amuse-bouche
Adam’s is a Michelin Star restaurant set in the centre of Birmingham, with an intimate, warmly lit dining room which emanates calm and romance. Travellers are blown away by the attention to detail and delicate take on traditional British cuisine.
Unlike many fine dining options in the UK, Adam’s offers a both an extensive, pre-set tasting menu and a three-course option, making it a great option for those who want to experience fine dining for less.
To ensure your romantic weekend break goes off without a hitch, choose a hotel within walking distance of this city centre restaurant. The Ibis Styles Birmingham can be reached on-foot in under ten-minutes, although we recommend taking the scenic route through Cathedral Square, where you’ll find yourself surrounded by trendy bars and traditional pubs – a nightcap is the perfect end to a romantic evening, after all.
• Location – Great Milton, a small village in Oxfordshire
• Price range – £100 - £200 per person depending on the menu you choose
• Dress code – there is no specified dress code, although smart-casual is recommended
• Known for – a tasting menu of exceptional gastronomic flair
Nestled deep in rural Oxfordshire amongst the beautiful landscaped gardens of a traditional British manor house lies one of the most profound restaurants in the country. Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons offers a variety of tasting menus which bring together the best of French and British. Some of the finest chefs in the country combine their skill with organic produce to create a dining experience like no other, which has earnt the restaurant its two Michelin stars.
Whether you choose to indulge with three, five, or seven courses, you’ll want to partake in a glass or two of fine wine from the restaurant’s extensive menu, which changes regularly to reflect the season.
Belmond Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons can be reached from the city of Oxford in less than half an hour, making it a great option for fine dining if you’re planning a romantic weekend break in the city. If you’re looking for a place to stay, the Mercure Oxford Eastgate Hotel is conveniently set in the heart of the city, so can travel around with ease. Wherever you choose for your romantic weekend break, you can find an Accor hotel nearby to suit your needs.
• Location – Oldstead, a village situated within the North York Moors National Park
• Price range – £100 - £200 per person for the 12-course tasting menu
• Dress code – there is no dress code, so you can come as smart or casual as you’d like
• Known for – outstanding local ingredients and a diverse seasonal menu
The Black Swan at Oldstead serves just one menu, a considerately planned tasting menu which brings home grown ingredients together to create a singular experience. Step inside this seemingly traditional English pub and cosy up beside the fire, ready to enjoy the ultimate in British fine dining.
If you’re spending a romantic weekend in York, which is just a 40-minute drive from Oldstead, arrange a taxi to take you back into the city after diner, then kick back with a beautiful glass of wine or a seasonal cocktail and soak up the relaxing atmosphere of this extraordinary restaurant.
The Novotel York Centre is a fantastic option for a romantic city break in York, perfectly located in the heart of the city.